Sunday, January 9, 2011

January: the pencil skirt.

At a recent trip to good ol' Goodwill, I stumbled upon a 3 dollar bright pink pencil skirt. I was instantly in love.

How to wear it:
   
      Shirt:When wearing a bright article of clothing, you have to balance out the other colors of your outfit. So I chose to pair this skirt with a fun, but not to bright leopard print shirt. It also helped that the shirt was a little roomie and flowy because it was a contrast to the tightness of the skirt.
    
      Accessories: I piled on the pearls, a showy gold necklae, and a statement turquoise beaded necklace. For shoes I wore red pumps. In my rule book, it is okay to wear a bright skirt and bright shoes becaue my legs are so long, but if you aren't comfortable with so much color just switch out bright shoes with black or white shoes (I would wear my saddle Oxfords :P). 
            
             Hair: Slight curls/waves look glamourous without up-staging the outfit. Brush them out for sweet volume!
     
     Make-up: With an outfit so bold and bright, the make-up should be a little less dramatic. I lined the bottom lashes with some light gray shadow and did the lids in a soft pink. Next, I added a lot of black mascara for that Hollywood-vintage-glam. Then, I brushed some light pinky-rosy blush along my cheek bones. Also, I kept the lips neutral, but added some shiny gloss.

Here's how it turned out!

If you have questions, or other ideas of how to rock the pencil skirt, please leave a comment!

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Pippa:

    I have an old prom dress, from about eight years ago. Its black and a halter with really nice crystals on it. Can you think of a reason I could ever need to wear this again? I really loved it. -Laura Bynum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! First comment and a good question!
    Here are my ideas:
    1. If you are someone who likes to redesign clothes and is handy with pinking shears:
    Cut the dress to make shirt to wear with jeans, a long skirt to wear with a fun bright shirt, or maybe a shorter dress to wear with knee high boots and a cropped jacket.
    2. Prepare a fancy and cute meal with your signifigant other, wear the dress and a corsage, have him wear a nice suit,and put on some early 2000's music that reminds you of your prom. Relive your memory! Hopefully your husband took you to prom....if not don't share to many details.
    3. Save it for your little girls to use as dress up clothes.
    4. Be a prom queen for Halloween!
    5. Accesorise it with cute vintage/antique jewelry and shoes; maybe even a cute vintage hat. I love vintage :) Keep in mind the right accesories, hair, and make-up can make anything old look new again!
    I hope you liked my ideas! And if all else fails, donate the dress! Maybe someone who needs a prom dress, but cannot afford a fancy one will stumble upon your beautiful dress.
    Keep me posted on your progress!
    Pippa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Pippa,

    So excited I found your blog! I have you listed in my blog list in my own blog, so others can enjoy you! I love your fashion advice, and definitely could use your advice in these areas! I can't wait to see what you will write next!

    Love you!!
    Christy

    http://nathanchristy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Pippa,

    You're amazing. My daughters and I will be following your blog, you're a fashionista!

    Keep it up,
    3 girls and a guy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your support and encouragement! It means so much to me that you like the blog!

    ReplyDelete